Hijab for a woman is important like a wrapper for a sweet, if we won’t cover up the sweet, all ants would be attracted towards that sweet, same is the case for Hijab, if a women doesn’t cover herself then all males would be attracted to her. A woman is equal to a man in all aspects of life. Whether it’s a job, housework or what so ever, Hijab isn’t only for females, it’s for males too! For going deep into the fundamentals, we should know what Hijab means, HIJAB means Modesty not Veil, A male hijab is from belly button to knee, while a woman is required to cover full body, because men are to work, they can face problems, where as women are not forced to work, it’s upon them to work or not, but of course a woman can’t be a labor or farmer, so that she has to wear short clothes, she has to anyhow fear full clothes and cover herself. Hijab also adds a beauty to a woman.
Women are the property of their husbands so except their owners they have to keep veil from every outsider. Also Islam had to increase rights of Women and their respect in the world. As Arabs had a tradition of burring them alive, The Egyptian considered women evil and as a sign of a devil, The women were degraded and were denied all rights under the Babylonian law. If a man murdered a woman, instead of him being punished, his wife was put to death. The reason that your Allah and the prophet loves it , is enough for you to have a hijab.
Let’s have some references from Holy Quran;
1. Surah Al-Ahzaab, Verse #59 ‘O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (“Jalabib”) veils all over their bodies (screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way Tafseer Al-Qurtabi) that is most convenient that they should be known (as such) and not molested: and Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful.”
2. Surah An-Nur, Verses #30 and #31 ‘And Say to the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, head cover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms).
Now let’s have references from Hadith Shareef..
1. Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 6, Book 60, Hadith # 282 Narrated Safiya bint Shaiba (Radhiallaahu Ánha) “Aisha (Radhiallaahu Ánha) used to say: “When (the Verse): “They should draw their veils over their necks and bosoms,” was revealed, (the ladies) cut their waist sheets at the edges and covered their faces with the cut pieces.
2. Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Hadith # 368 Narrated ‘Aisha (Radhiallaahu Ánha) Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) used to offer the Fajr prayer and some believing women covered with their veiling sheets used to attend the Fajr prayer with him and then they would return to their homes unrecognized . Shaikh Ibn Uthaimin in tafseer of this hadith explains “This hadith makes it clear that the Islamic dress is concealing of the entire body as explained in this hadith. Only with the complete cover including the face and hands can a woman not be recognized.
This was the understanding and practice of the Sahaba and they were the best of group, the noblest in the sight of Allah (swt) with the most complete Imaan and noblest of characters. so if the practice of the women of the sahaba was to wear the complete veil then how can we deviate from their path? (Ibn Uthaimin in the book “Hijaab” page # 12 and 13)
3. Abu Dawood Book 32, Hadith # 4090 Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu’minin (Radhiallaahu Ánha): When the verse “That they should cast their outer garments over their persons” was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing outer garments.
The defense rests ! 🙂